[Ads-l] "Alternative facts" for EOTY

Wed Jan 25 19:56:15 UTC 2017

JL wrote:
> Thanks, Garson.

You're welcome,

> Consider that an entertaining or moralizing "fable" is not quite the same
> as a "lie."

Yes, I agree that a "fable" and a "lie" are quite distinct. I have
grouped quotations using those words into a family because I think it
helps to illustrate the evolution of the saying.

Your suggestion that there is a connection between the following two
statements is valuable although at this time I have not attempted to
trace the conjectural transition from the first to the second:

"History is a lie agreed upon"
"Truth Is a Lie Agreed Upon"

Garson

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A Washington Post reporter on MSNBC, attempting strict objectivity,
>> offhandedly referred to Mr. Trump's "alternative facts" as "mistruths."
>>
>> JL
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:48 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
>> adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> guru
>>> upon?"

>>> I have examined a family of relayed sayings about historical truth:
>>>
>>> What Is History But a Fable Agreed Upon?
>>> http://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/07/05/fable/
>>>
>>> [Begin excerpt]
>>> Dear Quote Investigator: A popular skeptical viewpoint about history
>>> can be expressed in a few different ways:
>>>
>>> 1) What is history but a fable agreed upon?
>>> 2) History is a set of lies agreed upon.