[Ads-l] WITHOUT RESORTING TO A DICTIONARY: family types

Sun Jul 2 17:12:28 UTC 2017

I take Nuclear family: to be the parents and their children.
Immediate family: adds grandparents and brothers & sisters of the parents.
Extended family: adds cousins, &c.
I would only use Close family to describe the tightness or warmth of the
bonds among the members of the family.  I wouldn't say "Only members
of the Close
family will be named in the obituary."

GAT

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 12:20 PM, David K. Barnhart <dbarnhart at highlands.com>
wrote:

> What is your "impression" of the following terms for family types:
>

> Extended family:
>
> Immediate family:
>
> Nuclear family:
>
> Close family:
>

> You are invited to respond either to the list of to me directly:
> Barnhart at highlands.com
>

> Thanks and Happy  4th,
>
> David

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- affectionately (of course) also known as The Dunghill
Toadstool.  (Here's a picture of one.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851