[Ads-l] old pronunciation of "Los Angeles"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 3 03:48:08 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Remarkably late (to my ear):  Anjelica Huston consistently uses / g / in
> _The Grifters_ (1990), set contemporaneously.

The movie has some contemporary trappings, but the language is
self-consciously retro, as befits an adaptation of a hard-boiled novel
published in 1963 (and set in a Los Angeles even earlier than that). From a
New York Times profile of Anjelica Huston when the movie came out:

----
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/02/movies/anjelica-huston-
seeks-the-soul-of-a-con-artist.html
Although the novel is set in the 40's and 50's, Mr. Frears wanted the film
to have a current feel to it, a leap that Miss Huston did not always find
an easy one. "The style of writing tended to be more 40's dialogue, so
putting those words against a modern background was something else," says
Miss Huston.
----

I mentioned Huston's pronunciation here in 2005 -- I called it "a nice
neo-noir anachronism":

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2005-June/051331.html