[Ads-l] old pronunciation of "Los Angeles"

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 3 07:22:49 UTC 2017

     Mighta expected somebody named <Anjelica> to have trouble with a hard
[g] in <Los Angeles>. Shoulda hired Angela Merkel to coach her.
     My handy-dandy Gudde CA PlN (1960) p.175 gives second place to [low-ss
AENG-less], not [loss], with syncopated, disyllabic <Angeles>.  (N.b.,
sometimes he has Spanish-articulated entries according to the following
noun, as for <Los Coyotes> under <Coyote>, so watch out.)
     Do we know the date of the LA City council vote on the [dzh] ~ [g]
issue? Presumably after Mayor Fletcher Bowron's tenure, 1938-1953.