[Ads-l] Ellay [Was Re: ADS-L Digest - 13 Jul 2017 to 14 Jul 2017 (#2017-196)]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 16 17:35:22 UTC 2017

> On Jul 16, 2017, at 9:54 AM, David Daniel <dad at COARSECOURSES.COM> wrote:
>
> My parents, from Indiana and transplanted to Los Angeles in 1953 or so, said
> Los An-guh-less with a hard g. They were in good company: Sam Yorty, mayor
> of LA from 1961 to 1973, never called it anything else, though he tended to
> make "eez" out of the "es", as in Los An-guh-leez. A lot of people said/say
> "eez" with both hard and soft g, famously Arlo Guthrie "Coming into Los
> An-gel-eez, Bringin in a couple a keys.”

Hmmm.  On the studio album cut (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzrkDGxZexA) A.G. has four instances of “comin’ into Los Angeles”, all with the affricate, and similarly for the live version at Woodstock and a couple of other live versions on YouTube.  Doesn’t seem like the hard /g/ is much in evidence, although who knows what Mr. Customs Man will turn up…

LH