[Ads-l] Polly

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 30 02:04:44 UTC 2017

> Used unisexually

This isn't news, is it? Amongst the colored - well, for those of us born
before WWII -  _polly-parrot_ is the usual term for "parrot," despite the
existence of the well-known - at one time; the company once sponsored
"howdy Doody Time" - "Poll Parrot" brand of shoes.

"Paul Parrot had a shoe company for many years and in 1925 decided to
manufacture children’s shoes under the name Poll Parrot Shoes. Poll parrot
was an endearing term used for many years in regards to parrots (a version
of Polly Parrot)."

https://companionparrotonline.com/poll_parrot.html

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 9:07 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Used unisexually for a male parrot as well, in Harry Greenbank and Sidney
> Jones's "Interfering Parrot" (1896):
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4MpZowd5sU
>
> JL
>
> --