[Ads-l] The peasants are revolting (Comic: The Wizard of Id)

Mon Jun 5 12:24:27 UTC 2017

Thanks for your responses, Wilson and Geoff.

An instance of the "penniless versus Nicholas (nickel less)" wordplay
appeared in a 1922 issue of "The Gargoyle", the student humor magazine
of the University of Michigan. "The Gargoyle" acknowledged "The
Harvard Lampoon".

[ref] 1922 January, The Gargoyle, Section: Advertising, Unnumbered
Page, Published by the students of the University of Michigan, Ann
Arbor. (HathiTrust Full View) link [/ref]

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015071373487?urlappend=%3Bseq=187

[Begin excerpt]
Sweet Young Thing—Why, I can't marry you. You're penniless.
Hopeful Young Man—That's nothing, the Czar of Russia was Nicholas.
—Harvard Lampoon.
[End excerpt]

Here is an instance a few months later acknowledging "Vaudeville News".

[ref] 1922 March 27, The Muncie Evening Press, Broadcasting Jokes,
Quote Page 4, Column 6, Muncie, Indiana. (Newspapers_com)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Cents Less
Sweet Young Thing—I can't marry you. You are penniless.
Young fellow—That's nothing, the czar of Russia was Nicholas.
—Vaudeville News.
[End excerpt]

Garson