[Ads-l] King and Comey: "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jun 9 23:57:28 UTC 2017

According to the Washington Post:
“You said [Trump] said, ‘I hope you will hold back on that.’ But when a president of the United States in the Oval Office says something like ‘I hope’ or ‘I suggest’ or ‘would you,’ do you take that as a directive?”
 Comey replied: “Yes. Yes, it rings in my ear as kind of, ‘Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?’ ”
 King said: “I was just going to quote that in 1170 [of] Dec. 29 Henry II said, ‘Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?’ And then the next day he was killed. Thomas A Becket. That’s exactly the same situation. We’re thinking along the same lines.”

 Did Senator King (whose questioning was remarkably to the point and eliciting) and Comey consult so that King was prepared to allude to this quotation and Comey to cite it?  Or is it in Comey's prepared remarks, which King had seen before the committee session?

Joel