[Ads-l] Pagoda, plausibility of a Chinese etymology

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Fri Jun 30 21:09:26 UTC 2017

Dear members of ads-l, especially lexicographers:

Might I draw the following article to your attention:

David Robbins Tien and Gerald Cohen: "Chinese Origin of the

Term 'Pagoda': Liang Sicheng's Proposed Etymology." in:

Comments on Etymology, vol. 46, no. 7 (April 2017). 13 pages.

The article is online (enter: "Gerald Cohen, pagoda" and select

the Scholars' Mine item.) If there's any problem, I'd be happy

to e-mail the article as an attachment to anyone interested

(no charge).

The bottom line here is that the Chinese etymology of pagoda is both entirely plausible and yet unknown in Western linguistic scholarship. And I must emphasize: credit for all the Chinese content of the article goes to Tien.

Gerald Cohen