[Ads-l] Pronunciation - use clyp.it

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 1 22:58:42 UTC 2017

A good way to show pronunciation is to record your words on clyp.it.  Here is a demo.  No need to sign up. I used my headset recorder.  https://clyp.it/e13t4rmk    Go to http://clyp.it  , click on upload, click the yellow circle to record, click the square circle to stop, click arrow to hear, click record to keep, eventually a link appears that you can copy and paste.

For best phonetic notating there is truespel phonetics - Designed to be easy enough for US English speaking children, and applies to ESL's and adults.  Phonetics isn't difficult anymore

Tom Zurinskas,
Originally SWConn 20 yrs,  college Tenn 3,  work NJ  33,  now FL 14.
truespel phonetics free converter and  tutorials - http://truespel.com

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Jim Parish <jparish at SIUE.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:15 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Pronunciation

On 2/28/2017 9:03 AM, Mark Mandel wrote:
> FAR-head

Of course, that pronunciation kills the "fivehead" joke - except in
(hypothetical?) dialects where "four" and "far" are homophones.

Jim Parish

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...