[Ads-l] Request Yankee magazine 1980 - Help with Quote: History (or War) is the unfolding of miscalculations. Barbara Tuchman

Thu Mar 2 07:49:49 UTC 2017

Thanks for your helpful response, John. Here is some more background.
I am confident that "History is the unfolding of miscalculations" is
in Tuchman's 1970 book because it is in the 2001 edition.

The variant "War is the unfolding of miscalculations" is common now,
but I suspect that Tuchman neither wrote it nor said it. Below are
three references that contain the "war" version of the quotation and
two of these references point to "The Guns of August" (1962).

But I do not believe that the statement is present in "The Guns of
August". HathiTrust contains searchable copies of "The Guns of August"
and there is no match. I also performed a different check and found no
match. If some list member finds the "war" version of the quotation
before 1973 please let me know.

[ref] 1984, The Cynic's Lexicon by Jonathon Green, Section: Barbara
Tuchman, Page 192, St. Martin's Press, New York. (Verified on paper)
[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
BARBARA TUCHMAN
1912— American historian
War is the unfolding of miscalculations.
The Guns of August, 1962
[End excerpt]

[ref] 1990, The Fourth—and by Far the Most Recent—637 Best Things
Anybody Ever Said by Robert Byrne, Quote Number 496, Page not
numbered, (Quotations are numbered, but pages are not numbered),
Atheneum, New York. (Verified on paper) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
496
War is the unfolding of miscalculations.
Barbara Tuchman (1912-1989)
[End excerpt]

[ref] 1993, The New International Dictionary of Quotations, Selected
by Margaret Miner and Hugh Rawson, (Second Edition), Section: War,
Quote Page 390, A Dutton Book: Penguin Books, New York. (Verified on
paper)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
War is the unfolding of miscalculations.
—BARBARA TUCHMAN, The Guns of August
[End excerpt]

I am trying to find the "Yankee" magazine because the dialog with
Tuchman is fun. Also interested in "History is the unfolding of
miscalculations" before 1970; "War is the unfolding of
miscalculations" before December 3, 1973

Garson