[Ads-l] The Waugh Zone March 10, 2017

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri Mar 10 15:23:52 UTC 2017

... or a variant of Faugh! -- see GDoS:

faugh! excl.
also faw! figh! fogh! foh! fough! fugh! fuh! hough! paugh! pho(h)! phooh! pough!
pugh! wagh!
[early uses are no more than aggressive throat-clearing, but later uses (perhaps
mid-19C+) seem likely to be a euph. for fuck! excl.]
an excl. of dismissal, derision, anger or surprise.
c.1597 [UK] Shakespeare Merry Wives of Windsor I iii: ‘Steal!’ foh! a fico for
the phrase!

(I see that the OED entry for WAUGH (Intransitive) [from a1766] that you note
scouts the possibility of a faugh/waugh transition, but the GDoS entry makes
sense to me.)

The original quotation was from Paul Waugh, one of the Huffington Post [UK]
editors -- I came on the Unfortunately Overqualified Adverb earlier today via a
newsletter of his that I'm subscribed to, so I'm not sure if it's present
anywhere on the actual site.  URL for The Man Himself is:

                          http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/author/paul-waugh

It was a comment on his grammatical infelicity -- copying the post to ADS-l was
intended to rub salt in the wound.

(To be fair, I usually find his writing style quite acceptable, nicely light in
tone with some solid Brit-Political background, why I'm subscribed to his
newsletter.)

Back to chasing variants between the various editions of Hotton's _Slang
Dictionary_ between 1859 and 1873 ...

     Robin

[He -- Paul Waugh -- is possibly part of the Evelyn/Auberon Clan -- no doubt
Wiki would Reveal All, but I'm too lazy to look at this moment.  R.]