[Ads-l] ejaculatory "pop"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Mar 12 17:54:24 UTC 2017

I stand corrected (or rather cringe with mortification) -- I'd always taken that
(dare one say it, traditional?) version at face value. Gonna have to think on
this ...

But as for the grammatical logic (and I do take your larger points), I'd read it
as, "Pop!  Into the pawnshop goes the carpenter's weasel (or easel, or chisel)."

Ah, that's me straining to defend the indefensible ...  Back to singing a
lullaby to my colorless green ideas.

 :-(

[Except ... Half a pound of tuppeny rice, half a pound of treacle {expensive
stuff, your treacle}, that's the way the money goes -- better hike round to
uncle and pop my weasel-and-stoat before the old trouble and strife gets back
and finds I've just been bilked of the household float at the local penny gaff.]

Robin