[Ads-l] ejaculatory "pop"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 12 19:07:58 UTC 2017

> On Mar 12, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Yet even at a time when "pop" often meant "pawn," few people seem to have
> subscribed to that interpretation, which is grammatically unlikely: "Pawn!
> goes the weasel"?
>
> With no context to suggest otherwise, the monkey and weasel in the rhyme
> must be taken as actual animals, with the monkey in pursuit, rather than
> obscure or mismatched metaphors.
>
> Maybe the weasel goes "pop!" because he/she/it is taking off with a sudden
> burst of speed. (See OED "pop," adj., 1. But OED, in the same article,
> deff. 2, otherwise declines to explicate the weasel's "pop.”)

Yes, I agree that OED’s sense 9 is implausible for describing the weasel-on-monkey activity alluded to in the verse, unless “pawn” is intended as an attenuated non-rhotic rendering of the highly suspect inter-species goings-on behind the convenient cover of the mulberry (or carpenter’s bench as the case may be).

LH