[Ads-l] Dialog: "Winning isn't everything, is it, Red?" "No, it isn't everything; it's just the ONLY thing."

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 14 18:17:54 UTC 2017

The line was also spoken in a 1953 John Wayne film, Trouble Along the Way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6c3PAE6kQ

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 9:23:52 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Dialog: "Winning isn't everything, is it, Red?" "No, it isn't everything; it's just the ONLY thing."

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dialog: "Winning isn't everything, is it, Red?" "No, it isn't

Fred Shapiro wrote:
> Although this is just an eight-month pushing back, the quotation is
> such a celebrated one that I regard this as a significant discovery.

Thanks, Fred. The website now has an entry on the topic.

Winning Isn=E2=80=99t Everything; It's the Only Thing
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/13/winning/

[Begin acknowledgment]
Great thanks to Mitch Perkal whose inquiry led QI to formulate this
question and perform this exploration. Also, much thanks to previous
researchers: Barry Popik, Ralph Keyes, Fred R. Shapiro, Charles Clay
Doyle, and Nigel Rees.
[End acknowledgement]

Feedback welcome
Garson