[Ads-l] greatest thing since sliced bread (1951)

Wed May 3 21:47:59 UTC 2017

The phrase "greatest innovation since sliced bread" appeared January 31, 1940:

Date: January 31, 1940
Newspaper: Call-Chronicle (The Morning Call)
Newspaper Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Article: Seventy Years Provide Sharp Contrast in Hamilton St. Scene
Quote Page 36

https://www.newspapers.com/image/279843749/?terms=%22innovation%22

[Begin excerpt]
Just a few months ago, Schaible's Bakery, in its 56th year of
progressive business, startled the Lehigh Valley with the greatest
innovation since sliced bread. It was the "Thrift-Pak"—a unique loaf
consisting of two separately wrapped half loaves of bread double
wrapped into one.
[End excerpt]

Other variants:
Nov 15, 1935: "Here is the biggest news in BREAD BAKING since sliced
Bread was introduced!"
Jul 29, 1939: "IT IS THE NEWEST THING Since SLICED BREAD"
Oct 12, 1939: "The biggest news since sliced bread"
Feb 16, 1940: "Greatest convenience since sliced bread" (mentioned on
stackexchange)

Garson