[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] where to find sympathy

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Thu Oct 19 16:30:19 UTC 2017

> On the Strong Language blog, I look into variations on a saying we discussed a couple of years ago: "If you're looking for sympathy, you can
> find it in the dictionary between 'shit' and 'syphilis.'"
>
> https://stronglang.wordpress.com/2017/10/19/where-can-you-find-sympathy/
>
> Linking back to our earlier discussion:
>
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-March/136422.html
>
> JL will be glad to know that I tracked down the example he remembered in the "World at War" miniseries.
>
> --bgz

Bonus points to Ben for quoting "Major Payne".

Also:
Syracuse NY _Post-Standard_ 22 May 1964 p 27 col a (bridge column, possibly syndicated?)
"Now everybody knows that a bridge columnist is the tenderest of God's creatures, but there is a limit to our sweetness. "You'll find sympathy in the dictionary between Stupid and Throw-off," I informed my friend."

_New Tops_ Feb 1970, p 39 col 2.
"You will find 'sympathy' in the dictionary between fertilizer and shoe polish."