[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] where to find sympathy

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY RDECOM AMRDEC (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Thu Oct 19 18:37:57 UTC 2017

> > On the Strong Language blog, I look into variations on a saying we
> > discussed a couple of years ago: "If you're looking for sympathy, you can find it in the dictionary between 'shit' and 'syphilis.'"
> >
> > https://stronglang.wordpress.com/2017/10/19/where-can-you-find-sympath
> > y/
> >
> > Linking back to our earlier discussion:
> >
> > http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-March/136422.htm
> >
> > JL will be glad to know that I tracked down the example he remembered in the "World at War" miniseries.
> >
> > --bgz
> >

> Bonus points to Ben for quoting "Major Payne".
>
> Also:
> Syracuse NY _Post-Standard_ 22 May 1964 p 27 col a (bridge column, possibly syndicated?) "Now everybody knows that a bridge columnist
> is the tenderest of God's creatures, but there is a limit to our sweetness. "You'll find sympathy in the dictionary between Stupid and Throw-
> off," I informed my friend."
>
> _New Tops_ Feb 1970, p 39 col 2.
> "You will find 'sympathy' in the dictionary between fertilizer and shoe polish."

More:

Little Rock _Arkansas Democrat_ 11 Mar 1951 p 6B col 3
"There are a few wives, however, who also had a tough day and tell their tired mates if they want sympathy to look in the dictionary between symmetry and symphonic."

_Fairview [KS] Enterprise_ 29 Jun 1961 p 3 col 4
"He:  "Do you know where to find sympathy?"
She:  "No, where?"
He:  "In the dictionary between two words." "

_La Cross [WI] Tribune_ 19 Jay 1967 p 8 col 4
""If you're looking for sympathy you can find it in the dictionary between shoot and suicide." -- Attributed to a U.S. Marine Corps Drill Instructor"
[This is in a syndicated column by Carl Riblet Jr.  He uses this variant occasionally; this is the earliest one of his I can find.]

_Waco [TX] Tribune-Herald_ 3 May 1974 p 4D col 4
""A taxpayer looking for sympathy can search in the dictionary between 'shoot' and 'suicide'." -- Paraphrase of an old saying of U.S. Marine drill instructors."

_Boston Herald_ 2 Mar 1986 p 94 col 5
"As for you ball players who are looking for sympathy it's in the dictionary between sex and syphilis."

State College PA _Centre Daily Times_ 5 Apr 1994 p D1 col 1
"It goes without saying that they're wealthy enough to buy and sell these players so if they're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary between symmetry and symphonic."