[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] "Niger" or "Niger"?

Salikoko S. Mufwene mufw at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Oct 20 19:58:00 UTC 2017

Dear JL:

I suspect that for a lot of Americans this is the year when Niger is
discussed on TV for, let's say, the first time and when they can try to
situate on the map. There's variation in perception and reproduction of
unfamiliar names, isn't there? When you also add the comparison with
"knee-jerk," I start wondering whether you are making fun of the
French-based pronunciation or of  the speaker's pronunciation. At the
beginning of this thread, I had the impression that people were just
interested in the non-Anglo pronunciation of the country name... and we
have long come past that academic discussion!

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1115 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://mufwene.uchicago.edu/