[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] "Niger" or "Niger"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 20 21:16:28 UTC 2017

Dear Sali,

As soon as I recognized the phonetic near-identity of "Nee-jur" and
"knee-jerk" (which was immediately), I thought it would be trivially
amusing (and marginally clarifying) to point out the meaningless
similarity.

I promise I had no ulterior motive except a spirit of fun. More seriously,
I find the surprisingly various attempts to pronounce "Niger" correctly in
English fascinating.  At one point I was aware of only one version. Then
there were two. Now there are several. Which one will have the most staying
power?

I can think of several likely pronunciations of "Nigerien" (which looks
very odd in English) but must admit I've heard only two (both in the last
24 hrs.):

Nee-ZHAIR-iun

Nye-ZHEER-iun

The latter differs by only one phoneme from "Nigerian."

JL