[Ads-l] Sluicing

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Mon Oct 23 07:43:21 UTC 2017

I should start with the disclaimer that I'm strictly here as an amateur,
and can neither comment on the analysis of this feature, not on its
naming. This said.

For a German speaker, this term is a pretty intuitive one.
Interestingly, some of the examples on the (English) Wikipedia page are
from German. It's always better to have an example to hand...

===> Er hat jemandem geschmeichelt, aber ich weiß nicht, wem.

===> He has flattered someone but I don't know who.

(And we're talking about the indirect interrogative clauses being
reduced to the wh-thingy.)

English "sluice" is a cognate of German "Schleuse", and the two words
mean almost the same thing. Almost. I started out in the
English-speaking world using "sluice" whenever I meant "Schleuse", but
that just led to all sorts of confusion. I figured out the best 1st
approximation for a translation should be "lock", as in, for
transportation on rivers and canals. Locks usually have sluices, of
course. In German, the verb "durchschleusen" ("sluice through", or
rather, let something pass through, smoothly and swiftly, as if in a
water channel) is pretty common. It is used especially in a figurative
sense. And that's what's happening in the feature: The rest of the parts
of the indirect interrogative clause are just, fffffffffp, virtually
passed through from the main clause.

Now of course Dr. Ross may have had a different metaphor in mind. But he
better then deal with the German imagery...

Chris