[Ads-l] No = 'yes; truly'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 27 00:18:14 UTC 2017

I’m (still) with Dan on this.  This strikes me as an instance of metalinguistic negation, as in (attested examples):

“Did you like coffee?”
“No, I don’t *like* coffee. [pause.]  I *love* coffee.”

“That wasn’t a *bad* year.  That was *horrible*.”

“I’m not *happy* he’s gone--I’m *elated*.”

And here’s one a bit closer to the one we’re discussing—actually, not a *bit* closer, a *lot* closer:

"Is this kind of like cricket?"
"It's not kind of like cricket. It is cricket.”
http://www.subzin.com/quotes/M12395b76c/Heavy+Weights/It%27s+not+kind+of+like+cricket.

Or, if you prefer,
TOPIC:              "D.Va's "Bang" voice line is sort of obnoxious:
One response:  "It's not sort of obnoxious, it is.”

There’s nothing un-English about this device in which a predication is rejected not because it’s false but because it’s too weak, although it sometimes involves a garden path.  While the respondents in the last two exchanges don’t say “No, it *is* cricket.” Or “No, it is (obnoxious)”.   But they could have.

LH