[Ads-l] No = 'yes; truly'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 27 01:12:27 UTC 2017

"Isn't it?" prompts a positive response. She gave a positive response.
Which requires "yes," not "no."

While I see your point about "No, it's not *kind* of embarrassing, it *is*
embarrassing," I certainly did not (and do not) interpret the utterance
this way. The intonation pattern did not sound right.  "Is" was not
sufficiently stressed to convey that idea (i.e., "No! it IS
embarrassing!"). I'm familiar with the patterns you mention, but this did
not seem to belong.

The stress pattern was precisely that of ordinary, "Yes, it is
embarrassing."  A simple statement rather than a (jocular) contradiction.

And I'm still waiting for the explanation of "Yes! We have no bananas!"

JL