[Ads-l] rout = 'stunning victory'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Sep 2 23:50:53 UTC 2017

Seems to me the OED _rout_ n.6 gives one meaning for sense 1 and the other for sense 2:

1. The action or an act of defeating an enemy force resoundingly, compelling it to retreat in disorder and haste.
[with cites from 1595]

2. Disorderly and hurried retreat of a defeated force.
[with cites from 1597]

Context (including if we’re lucky the complement—“X’s rout of Y” vs. “X’s rout by Z”) is all.

LH