[Ads-l] "rude" again

Wed Sep 27 20:09:35 UTC 2017

I had read the diary of Miss Connecticut of 1795 because I am researching
travel along the Hudson in the earliest years.  When she left the river and
headed inland I left her.  But I have repented, and have at least skimmed
the rest of her diary.  Haven't seen anything new, but there are a couple
of other appearances of the word "rude" that either clarify or obfuscate
what she meant by it -- your choice.
p. 284       Friday 27th  Tarried at Mrs Waldos till after Breakfast indeed
till 11 Oclock then set out for Mr Sloans, stopt at Mr Cushman Foot's eat
dinner and drank tea had a very rude afternoon, till almost sundown -- then
we set off -- and again arrivd at home
​p. 300       Thirsday 8th I have been diverted today and you shall hear
how if you please -- I have had an invite to attend a quilting at Mrs
Spauldings -- well there was not any other young person but myself there so
I put on a face of sobriety and was remarkably steady till we got the quilt
off -- about sundown then the Old men came in after their Dear Wifeses,
then I got propper high and spent the Eve very rudely

The second of these seems to mean "drunk" -- not to bring accusations
against a 19 year old schoolteacher -- but the first follows the "noisy"
theme -- one doesn't get drunk on tea, no more than on mince pie.

The OED has "quilting" back to 1768

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851