[Ads-l] _colyumist_

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 9 19:20:30 UTC 2018

And if anybody, as I was, is interested in the  book "Little Mr.
Bouncer" mentioned
by Morley as the companion volume to "Mr. Verdant Green" (by Cuthbert Bede)
- it's on-line:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Little_Mr_Bouncer_and_His_Friend_Verdant_Green

with its interesting simile "like a door on its hinges" (chapter 11):
"It 's all very well for Dr. Watts' sluggard to do the downy like the door
on its hinges, so he on his bed; but I can't allow it."

It's pretty silly

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 1:53 PM, Andy Bach <afbach at gmail.com> wrote:

> From a Christopher Morley article 1921 in his column "Plum Pudding" on
> McSorley's, the NYC bar (a wonderful place):
> http://www.online-literature.com/morley/plum-pudding/11/
>
> This afternoon we have been thinking how pleasant it would be to sit at
> one of those cool tables up at McSorley's and write our copy there. We have
> always been greatly allured by Dick Steele's habit of writing his Tatler at
> his favourite tavern. You remember his announcement, dated April 12, 1709:
>
> "All accounts of gallantry, pleasure, and entertainment, [...] and what
> else I have to offer on any other subject shall be dated from my own
> apartment."
>
> Sir Dick--would one speak of him as the first colyumist?--continued by
> making what is, we suppose, one of the earliest references in literature to
> the newspaper man's "expense account."
>
> A discussion of colyumist (which suggests it is not just an alternative
> spelling of "columnist"):
> https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2005/06/14/mind-fire
> --

> Andy Bach,