[Ads-l] What does "Yahoo" mean?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 28 06:25:16 UTC 2018

> Created in January 1994 at Stanford University by electrical engineering
graduate students Jerry Lang and David Filo, Yahoo was originally called
"Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web," which was a directory of
other sites organized in a hierarchy. By January 1995, the pair had created
the domain name yahoo.com and thus the service was renamed to "Yahoo!".
> Although the creators have said they selected the name Yahoo because they
liked the word's reference to an uncouth, ignorant person (a slang
definition derived from the primitive Yahoos of Jonathan Swift's 1726 novel
Gulliver's Travels), it was later decided by Lang and Filo that "Yet
Another Hierarchically Organized Oracle" or "Yet Another Hierarchical
Officious Oracle" was a suitable backronym for the name Yahoo (backronym
being an acronym intentionally formed around a word or phrase).

 https://www.techspot.com/trivia/73-what-does-yahoo-mean/
 --
 -Wilson
 -----