[Ads-l] Request help tracing a joke in =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=9CMcClure's_Magazine=E2=80=9D_?=in 1927

Fri Dec 28 14:31:31 UTC 2018

Quotation expert Nigel Rees just published the January 2019 issue of
“The ‘Quote...Unquote’ Newsletter” which contains the following
fascinating challenge:

[Begin excerpt]
[Hostess to Oscar Wilde:] ‘Are you enjoying yourself, Mr Wilde?’
‘Enormously, Madam, there’s nothing else to enjoy.’
Curiously, I cannot find a source for this before 1995.
[End excerpt]

Rees’s implicit challenge is to find earlier evidence, and to work
toward tracing this egocentric joke to its origin. Two famous
quotation magnets, Oscar Wilde and George Bernard Shaw, have been
assigned authorship of the quip. The phrasing is variable, so I have
found this task difficult.

The earliest match (with a different phrasing) I have found occurred
in the novel “Beau Ideal” by Percival Christopher Wren which was a
sequel to the very popular work “Beau Geste”. “Beau Ideal” was
serialized in “McClure’s Magazine” in 1927 and 1928, and I think the
joke probably appeared on page 84 of the October 1927 issue of
“McClure's Magazine”, but I need help to verify this. See further
below if you can access this magazine in 1927. Some issues of
“McClure's Magazine” are in a ProQuest periodicals database, but I do
not know whether ProQuest has coverage in 1927.

“Beau Ideal” was also serialized in “The Des Moines Register” in 1929.
Here are the details for that match: