[Ads-l] "bulldoze(r)" (June 1876)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 16 01:48:42 UTC 2018

In fact, the compound in question appears to have been "bull's pizzle."

OED: 1599-1737

1812, in Google Books: Birch then laid on him with the bull's pizzle, and
had him down in a corner, and he screamed out murder, and then Birch gave
over licking him.

The word didn't make it into HDAS 1 because I had no U.S. exx. Evidently it
hung on well into the 19th  C.

JL