[Ads-l] How the Los Angeles Times deals with obscenity

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 17 19:38:26 UTC 2018

> On Feb 17, 2018, at 7:22 AM, Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU> wrote:
>
> There is also a fairly frequently-produced play based on Chekhov's The Seagull, called, varyingly:
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/29/theater/review-stupid-bird-is-chekhov-for-the-21st-century.html
>
> and
>
> https://www.theatreanddanceatwayne.com/bird/
>
> which is seen on posters all over our campus.
>
> Interestingly, the Wikipedia entry does not censor the title:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Fucking_Bird

Maybe not, but I’m partial to the way the title appears in the second of these links that includes the seagull’s contribution--two expletives (if we count “birdshit”) for the price of one.

LH