[Ads-l] Quotes from Famous Short Stories

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 19 04:25:26 UTC 2018

"Can you understand me?"
"Can any person understand another"?

"I won't. That's freedom, isn't it?"

Eric Frank Russell
_And Then There Were None_
Astounding Science-Fiction
June, 1951; pp.277-278

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 4:05 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are two quotations from a famous short story by fantasy and SF
> writer Ursula K. Le Guin.
>
> Year: 1973
> Short Story: The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
> Author: Ursula K. Le Guin
> Note: This information is unverified. This metadata is from Wikipedia.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ones_Who_Walk_Away_from_Omelas
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> We have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of
> considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is
> intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the
> artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible
> boredom of pain.
> [End excerpt]
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> The place they go towards is a place even less imaginable to most of
> us than the city of happiness. I cannot describe it at all. It is
> possible it does not exist. But they seem to know where they are
> going, the ones who walk away from Omelas.
> [End excerpt]
>
> Garson
>
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 1:27 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
> wrote:
> > Quotation dictionaries don't usually include many quotations from short
> stories, but I'm trying to do so in my upcoming revised edition.  Can
> anyone point me to crucial or particularly memorable quotes from any of
> these famous short stories:
> >

> > Anton Chekhov, "The Bet"
> >
> > Joyce Carol Oates, "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
> >
> > Raymond Carver, "Cathedral"
> >

> > Or, for that matter, I would welcome any suggestions of crucial or
> particularly memorable quotes from other short stories as well.
> >
> > Fred Shapiro

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain