[Ads-l] Quotes from Famous Short Stories

Thu Jan 18 21:05:24 UTC 2018

Here are two quotations from a famous short story by fantasy and SF
writer Ursula K. Le Guin.

Year: 1973
Short Story: The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
Author: Ursula K. Le Guin
Note: This information is unverified. This metadata is from Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ones_Who_Walk_Away_from_Omelas

[Begin excerpt]
We have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of
considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is
intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the
artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible
boredom of pain.
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
The place they go towards is a place even less imaginable to most of
us than the city of happiness. I cannot describe it at all. It is
possible it does not exist. But they seem to know where they are
going, the ones who walk away from Omelas.
[End excerpt]

Garson