[Ads-l] Phrase: to take a mike out (April 6, 1895); taking the 'mike' out of (July 20, 1901); to take a "mike" out (March 14, 1922)

Thu Jul 12 19:37:15 UTC 2018

Thanks for your response, Gerald. As you note, the rhyming slang
origin hypothesis has been presented in slang references, e.g.,
Partridge. "Mike Bliss", "Micky Bliss", and "Mickey Bliss" are
reportedly substitutes for "piss".

What is the substantive evidence linking "Mike Bliss", "Micky Bliss",
and "Mickey Bliss" to "piss"? Do you Gerald? Do you know JL?

The citations I have posted to ADS occurred many years before the
citations in the OED and the citations in slang references such as
Partridge.  Also, OED does not seem to have "to take the mike out"
although it does have entries for "to take the mickey out" (first OED
cite 1948) and "to take the piss out" (first OED cite 1945).

Year: 2006
Title: The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional
English Volume 2: J-Z
Editors: Tom Dalzell (Senior Editor), ‎Terry Victor (Editor)
Publisher: Routledge
Database: Google Books Preview

[Begin excerpt]
take the micky; take the mickey; take the mick; take the michael

to make fun of someone; to pull someone's leg UK, 1935

All variations of rhyming slang MIKE BLISS; MICKY BLISS (PISS);
literal and euphemistic translations of TAKE THE PISS, The variations
on 'mickey', 'mick' etc. may be given an initial capital.

They're all the same them gits, sneering like. Taking the mickey out
of other people all the time, like they was something special or
something. —John Peter Jones, Feather Pluckers, p. 46, 1964
[End excerpt]

Garson