[Ads-l] curate

Dennis During dcduring at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 31 03:09:44 UTC 2018

Not every online dictionary has this sense of curate, but Oxford online has:
"Select, organize, and present (online content, merchandise, information,
etc.), typically using professional or expert knowledge."
*‘nearly every major news organization is using Twitter’s new lists feature
to curate tweets about the earthquake’*

I don't think "curate" was used much this way ten years ago, but it has
been increasingly so used since.

See https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/curate#Etymology_2 for 5 examples.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 8:17 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      curate
> -------------------
>
> Nowadays simply =3D select carefully
>
> "Have 1 minute? We've curated this for you: 5 ways to amplify your
> Gal=C3=A1pagos expedition."
>
> I've been hearing "curated" this way in TV commercials for months but kept
> quiet about it.
>
> ISTR  a selection of "specially curated" cosmetics sent regularly to one's
> door.
>

> JL
>

> --=20

Dennis C. During