[Ads-l] summer cold

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 19 02:54:17 UTC 2018

> summer cold

In my family, "summer cold" was the term for "hay fever/seasonal allergy"
and it was considered to be a literal cold, just like any other cold. I
noticed that I got "summer colds" at various times of year from spring to
fall, depending on where I happened to be living - midsummer in East Texas,
late fall in Northern California, early spring through early fall in
Eastern Massachusetts, etc. "Terrible" is the apt qualifier.

IAC, I was in my early forties before I discovered the miracle of the
antihistamine.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Transparent, to be sure, but possibly worth a mention since it suggests
> that it's worse than a common cold.
>
> Some will recall the Contac commercials (ca1970?) that declared "A summer
> cold is a different animal!"
>
> In the 1932 movie "The Purchase Price," Barbara Stanwyck tells George
> Brent, "You've caught one of those terrible summer colds."
>
> JL
>

> --

-Wilson
-----