[Ads-l] "double agent" = "[single] agent" ?

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 19 14:06:35 UTC 2018

Assuming we're talking about Sergei Skripal, the fellow who was poisoned,
then I don't see what the problem is with calling him a (former) "double
agent" as Wikipedia does:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Skripal

He worked for GRU in Russia, then got recruited by MI6 when he was in Spain
in 1995, then went back to Russia to work for GRU but was really still
working for MI6.