[Ads-l] bucko = 'beaucoup'

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Fri May 4 19:14:41 UTC 2018

I went to a bear safety presentation this week, part of a lecture series on
field work safety issues that my institution organizes. The instructor was
a wildlife biologist in his 60s who works for the state's fish & game
department - the kind of person with several decades experience who's seen
it all, been everywhere, and can speak on most of the aspects from
first-hand experience. While he was going over the range of the bear
species he pointed to what he called an anomaly in the brown and black bear
ranges, which, in tree-covered parts of the state, largely overlap: there
are some islands in the south-east of the state where only one species is
represented. He would say things like "ok, look here: Admiralty Island,
Baranof Island: NO black bear, but [switching slide to brown bear range]
BEAUCOUP brown bears. But here, Prince-of-Wales Island: no brown bears!
[switching back to black bear range] But BEAUCOUP black bears."

I'm not 100% sure if he said "beaucoup brown bears" or "beaucoup brown
bear". And I don't know how he'd have spelled it. I just found the choice
of words notable,

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu