[Ads-l] Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2018

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 10 21:12:21 UTC 2018

It's that time of year again.  In the next few weeks I have to finalize my list of the 10 notable quotations of the year, disseminated by the Associated Press, and would welcome input.  The criteria are quotations that are famous, or important, or particularly revealing of the spirit of our times.  Invariably many of the quotes are political in nature, but I do very much want some nonpolitical quotes from fields such as popular culture, sports, business, science, etc.  I also would like to have some foolish quotes from Democrats to give the list some balance.

Below are some of the candidates I already have.  Comments on which of these are most notable, or which of them are not so notable, and suggestions of additional quotations would be most welcome.  Note that quotes from December 2017 may be eligible.  Internet memes can be considered if they are very popular.

Fred Shapiro

Our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything.

James Comey

Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter.

Christine Blasey Ford

This is America

Don't catch you slippin' up.

Donald Glover

Truth isn't truth.

Rudy Giuliani

I liked beer.  I still like beer.

Brett Kavanaugh

This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with revenge on behalf of the Clintons.

Brett Kavanaugh

We gather to mourn the passing of American greatness, the real thing, not cheap rhetoric from men who will never come near the sacrifice he gave so willingly, nor the opportunistic appropriation of those that live lives of comfort and privilege while he suffered and served.

Meghan McCain

If our leaders seek to conceal the truth, or we as people become accepting of alternative realities that are no longer grounded in facts, then we as American citizens are on a pathway to relinquishing our freedom.

Rex Tillerson

Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!

Donald Trump

[I am] not smart, but genius ... and a very stable genius at that!

Donald Trump

Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?

Donald Trump

If you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them and you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere.

Maxine Waters