[Ads-l] Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2018

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Sat Nov 10 23:02:57 UTC 2018

I've been thinking of Andrew Gillum's "I’m not calling Mr. DeSantis a
racist. I’m simply saying the racists believe he’s a racist." I think it'll
have legs. For one thing, as one commentator I'm forgetting pointed out,
it's extremely rare that a black American can basically call their opponent
a racist without a firestorm accusing them of "playing the race card".

Full context:  “My grandmother used to say, ‘A hit dog will holler,’ and it
hollered through this room. Mr. DeSantis has spoken. First of all, he’s got
neo-Nazis helping him out in this state. He has spoken at racist
conferences. He accepted a contribution and would not return it from
someone who referred to the former president of the United States as a
Muslim N-I-G-G-E-R. When asked to return that money, he said no. He’s using
that money to now fund negative ads. Now, I’m not calling Mr. DeSantis a
racist. I’m simply saying the racists believe he’s a racist.” (After:
http://time.com/5434734/andrew-gillum-a-hit-dog-will-holler/ )

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu