[Ads-l] calico (cat)

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Sun Nov 18 20:30:36 UTC 2018

"When taken together, the three dictionary meanings do not seem
instructive, particularly when citation 4 is taken into account."

I don't think this is a proper thing to do. IMHO, it's a pretty usual
situation that an adjective (or noun) is used to apply to animals (or furry
animals) in general in a less specific way than to a particular species, or
a particular subgroup. (Eg. I thought I knew what color horses there are
when I grew up in Germany. Then I came to the US... holy crap!) In cats,
it's not really too contradictory. Def. 2 and 4 are basically the same -
ie, they would designate the same animals as calico. Do a Google image
search. I use it for a tortoiseshell cat (ie, tri-colored due to the
genetic situation described in 4) that has large areas of white. (While
"tortoiseshell" in the more narrow sense would be one that has only white
markings. But that's maybe because my cat back in the day was of this
coloring.) Tortoiseshell / calico cats are always female, except if they
are XXY males. In 4, my guess is the definition is written for the purpose
of classification of purebred cats by breed clubs: they usually have
subdivisions that the common cat owner or general public doesn't make.

Calico in other animals can have a looser meaning of
"blotched"/multi-colored or whatever. But a simple two-color tabby cat or
red-and-white or black-and-white is not a calico cat.

Chris

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu