[Ads-l] Misnderstanding "Don Quijote"

Marc Sacks msacksg at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 19 15:56:05 UTC 2018

Also in the unpronounceable spelling department:

A couple of months ago I was at a translators' panel at the Edinburgh Book
Festival. One of the panelists was Frank Wynne, described as a translator
of many French authors, including somebody called Wellbeck. That didn't
sound very French to me, but eventually I figured out that this odd name
referred to Michel Houellebecq. I thanked Wynne for clearing up for me the
name of that writer I could never either spell or pronounce.

Pronouncing "Don Quixote" seems straightforward by comparison.

--Marc Sacks