[Ads-l] Date templates for the 21st century

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 24 02:20:45 UTC 2018

> On Nov 23, 2018, at 5:54 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Last century I recall manually filling in forms containing slots that
> were used to specify the year. Often the two digits 19 appeared in
> these year slots. It was only necessary to specify the remaining two
> digits for the year. In the current century I have not encountered
> many forms with 20 written in the year slot.
>
> For example, In the past my personal checks had 19 in the year slot,
> but nowadays they do not have 20.
>
> Have others observed this difference?

Now that you mention it, I think I have, without noticing that I’d observed it.  Speculation: Maybe 19 is more likely to collocate with an additional two digits to denote a year, while 20 seems more self-sufficient.

LH