[Ads-l] went for a burton, slight antedating?

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Nov 30 12:48:01 UTC 2018

British Newspaper Archive OCR (unconfirmed) gives:

CANADIAN PILOT WRITES HOME <https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0001860/19410730/021/0025>

... last Canadian went for a Burton in the drink, I believe. Naturally, I reckon he 's kinda mixed up in words. When will he be back I ask. When will who be back The English boy looks a bit puzzled, see. Why, the Canuck who 's gone for a drink, ...

Published: Wednesday 30 July 1941
Newspaper: The Sketch<https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?newspaperTitle=The%20Sketch>
County: London, England
Type: Illustrated | Words: 1123 | Page: 25 | Tags: Illustrations<https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?RetrieveCountryCounts=False&PublicTag=Illustrations>

Byw, *if* there are not early uses of "to have a burton" and "to get a burton," then does that throw (more) shade on the Burton ale proposal? This quote may also present the gone for a drink reading as mistaken, eh?

Stephen

http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/