[Ads-l] went for a burton, slight antedating?

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 30 18:30:27 UTC 2018

Slight antedating of the antedating - Pascal Treguer cited the Sketch,
July 30, 1941 in a blog post about the origins of "To Go for a Burton"
in December 2017:

https://wordhistories.net/2017/12/03/go-for-a-burton/

I found a letter to the editor in an Australian newspaper that offered
an alternate explanation in 1978.  It suggested that a "burton" was a
piece of rigging on a sailing ship, and that the expression, "gone for a
burton," to explain why a sailor was missing from his post, was common
in naval parlance before the phrase was picked up by the RAF in WWII,
and that the association with the ale was later.  (There is a second,
alternate explanation given, but that one seems more far-fetched)

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/25845661/the_sydney_morning_herald/

A burton was in fact a piece of rigging someone might go looking for,
but I couldn't quickly find any early examples of the expression in
print.