[Ads-l] Quote: Sir your letter is before me, and it will presently be behind me. Attributed to Lord Sandwich

Wed Oct 3 01:23:31 UTC 2018

Here is one instance of the English version of German composer Max
Reger's reported response to a negative review:

I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review
before me. In a moment it will be behind me.

I've been searching for other German instances that fit into this
class of jokes. This task is complicated because my familiarity with
German is minimal. This mandates reliance on the remarkable (yet
flawed) tools Google Books and Google Translate. The metadata and text
in the Google Books database contains errors, e.g., optical character
recognition (OCR) errors.

Perhaps list members proficient in German can help to determine
complete and accurate citations and excerpts, coupled with insightful
commentaries. Please click the accompanying links to examine the page
scans displaying original text.

Year: 1833
Title: Taschenbuch zur Erheiterung für Freunde des Scherzes:
Schwarm Berliner, Wiener und Hamburger Spaßvögel von jeder Farbe und Geschlecht
Author: Superbe Kurzweil (Pseudonym)
Publisher: Schuberth & Niemeyer, Hamburg & Itzehoe

https://books.google.com/books?id=ichiAAAAcAAJ&q=%22bald+werde%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt - may contain OCR errors]
Ihr Werthes vom 7ten dieses Monars habe ich vor mir, bald werde ich es
hinter mir haben.
[End excerpt]

[Begin translated excerpt]
I have the letter(?) of the 7th of this month(?) before me, soon I
will have it behind me.
[End translated excerpt]