[Ads-l] Quote: Sir your letter is before me, and it will presently be behind me. Attributed to Lord Sandwich

Mon Oct 1 08:59:17 UTC 2018

Thanks for your responses, Mark and Geoff. The Yale Book of Quotations
and other references have an entry for a statement attributed to
German composer Max Reger (responding to Rudolf Louis) that mentions
the "smallest room of my house" ("kleinsten Zimmer in meinem Hause").

Max Reger died in 1916, and the citation for the quotation is in the
1953 book "Lexicon of Musical Invective: Critical Assaults on
Composers Since Beethoven’s Time". This evidence is somewhat late.

[Begin excerpt]
Ich sitze in dem kleinsten Zimmer in meinem Hause. Ich habe Ihre
Kritik vor mir. Im nächsten Augenblick wird sie hinter mir sein.

I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review
before me. In a moment it will be behind me.
[End excerpt]

I've found a snippet match with a Google Books date of 1923 for an
instance attributed to Max Reger in German.

I've also found German instances of matching jokes in 1833, 1877, and
1878, I believe. Perhaps list members will be able to help with the
German translations.The Lord Sandwich citation is still the earliest
in 1815 (internal date 1786).

I will try to post the information within a few days.
Garson