[Ads-l] [EEMSG-SPAM: Suspect][Non-DoD Source] pooched (UNCLASSIFIED)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 24 00:55:45 UTC 2018

While "fuck the dog" originally had the "loaf/shirk" meaning, it took on
the "blunder" meaning as well. As my trusty HDAS tells me (as well as The
F-Word and GDoS), it's attested with the "blunder" meaning from 1962 in a
reference to World War II (Killens, And Then We Heard the Thunder).

Likewise, "screw the pooch" had the dual meaning, at least early on. Though
the "loaf/shirk" meaning fell out of use, that's how it was reportedly used
by Yale students c. 1950 in the story I relayed in the Slate piece. Here's
the exchange between Yale roommates Jack May and John Rawlings, as May
remembered it:

----
JACK: You’re late, John, you’re fouling up. You are fucking the dog.
JOHN: Really, you are so vulgar and coarse, I just don’t want to hear it.
JACK: You’re still late. Is this better? You are screwing the pooch.
JOHN: (shrill laughter)
----