[Ads-l] Antedating of "Hippie"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 10 17:28:00 UTC 2018

If changes in fashion and pop-culture alter the conception of what makes one "hip" - does the "meaning" of the word "hippie" change when one fashion replaces another?

Is the meaning of the word affected by the particular fashion in vogue in San Francisco in 1965, if the meaning has always been one who is hip?

As an ex-hippie in "The Big Chill" bemoaned the loss of their college-day idealism to the pursuit of profits in the go-go-80s, "I hate to think it was all just fashion."

The San Francisco Examiner referred to Bobby Darin, of all people, as a "hippie" in 1960:

[Excerpt] Bobby Darin, a hippie from New York City, Tonsil No. 1 in the "New Noise" sweeping America, completely conquered all the New York hippies.  He gave the gals the jiggles - not the giggles - the jiggles. [End]

The San Francisco Examiner, June 9, 1960, Section 1, page 17.

And it used "hippie" as one, among several, euphemisms for "juvenile delinquent" in 1963.

[Excerpt] Soon, in Western Europe, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the United States, adult labor will be almost as uncommon as child labor is now.  Everybody will have a chance to be a Beatnik, a Teddy Boy, a Stilyagik, a hooligan, a hippie.  We can all be juvenile delinquents together, from 5 to 75. [End]

Kenneth Rexroth, "A Tidal Wave of Revolution," The San Francisco Examiner, May 26, 1963, section II, page 2 (newspapers.com page 34).

Is the 1965 usage really that much different, or did the fashions just change?