[Ads-l] Antedating of "Hippie"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 15 05:10:25 UTC 2018

> Some transcriptions read "Where do all the hippist (sic) meet?"

If you listen to it - YouTube is a good source - you will hear [hIpiz].
Even if you think that you hear [hIpIz] or even [hIpIs], it still is
"hippies," of which [hIpIz] and [hIpIs] are valid pronunciations in BE. To
argue for "hippist," you would have to show that the cluster, /stm/, is
maintained in the casual - or in any other style of - pronunciation of BE.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain