[Ads-l] Fwd: quotation model for a title

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Thu Apr 4 02:53:13 UTC 2019

originally sent only to Garson (because his address):

Begin forwarded message:

From: Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu<mailto:zwicky at stanford.edu>>
Subject: quotation model for a title
Date: April 3, 2019 at 6:56:03 PM PDT
To: ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com<mailto:adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>>

In this video, Florence Foster Jenkins's accompanist Cosmé McMoon reminisces about FFJ and her remarkable off-pitch performances of operatic arias:

https://www.thvdo.com/video/149QRqUU2j932AEE79weRT.html

from the album The Muse Surmounted: Florence Foster Jenkins and Eleven of Her Rivals (Unchained Melody label, 2012)

The cover illustration is entertaining, but here I'm interested in the title of the album, The Muse Surmounted.

I hear the echo of a quotation here, perhaps much altered, but Ihave no idea where it might come from. (My literary education is paper-thin, my classical education non-existent, so I'm likely to have missed things that truly educated people might be assumed to know (perhaps in translation from Latin or Greek).)

Can the quote-hounds of ADS-L remedy my ignorance / denseness?

(My search in quotes sources got me only as close as this:

Then, rising with Aurora's light, The muse invoked, sit down to write; Blot out, correct, insert, refine, Enlarge, diminish, interline. -- Jonathan Swift, "On Poetry", lines 85-8 (1733) )

arnold